Bastica

Monday, May 15, 2006

True Beauty

For the most part I hate photographs of myself. I think most women do. Gee,I don't know why this could be. Oh, could it possibly be that we automatically compare ourselves to the photographs of models and celebrities who work out 6 days a week 4 hours a day with their personal trainers, employ personal chefs for several thousand dollars a month and are airbrushed to perfection for good measure? Not to mention plastic surgery and I don't think we can underestimate the power of good lighting. GRRRRR! It makes me so mad but even though I know it's total bullcrap and not a fair comparison, I still can't break free from the influence.

At work they decided to take a head shot of all the employees and put them in a nice frame at the entrance by my desk. Of course none of the women like their picture, but you'll have to trust me when I say it's the worst picture ever taken of me in my entire life hands down.

I offer the testimony of 12 year old Tyrone as evidence. He said to me "You were sick that day, weren't you Miss Jennifer?"

Must. Suppress. Hysterical. Laughter. "No Tyrone, I know it looks that way but it's just a bad picture."

His comment was hilarious but it I also took it as a compliment. That picture is not a clear representation of me. I know I'm not all that but at least I'm not THAT!Thanks Tyrone!

My God thinks I'm beautiful and my husband thinks I'm beautiful. That's all that should matter. It's taken me a while to choose to believe that. I'm definitely not 100% there but I think I've gotten better at recognizing the lies and trying to believe the truth.

I only have so much control over my physical appearance. All the exercise and dieting in the world won't change my facial features or my Fred Flinstone feet. I don't feel like plastic surgery will ever be an option for me. Of course I can't afford it. Would I if I could? I hope I could resist the temptation. I'm not saying it's always a bad thing and I don't want to judge those that go that route. I've definitely fantasized about it but I don't think it would be a healthy choice for me.

The conclusion that I've come to is that inner beauty is FAR more important and valuable in this life and the next. I need to submit myself to God and let Him beautify me heart and soul. I've seen the glow of a beautified spirit on the face of godly women. No Hollywood studio can recreate that!

In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven. ~Matthew 5:16

When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." ~John 8:12

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. ~1 John 1:7

4 Comments:

  • At 10:33 PM , Blogger Emily said...

    And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit. ~2 Corinthians 3:18

    I walked by the mirror above my fireplace several times this evening. Each time, something caught my eye, but I wouldn't let myself stop to dwell on it. Finally, before I headed upstairs to check my email, I paused in front of the glass. "Who," I thought, "is THAT?" I saw a pretty woman in the mirror... dare I say, a beautiful woman in the mirror. I stood there staring at my reflection... astounded at the thought that passed through my head.

    I NEVER think that.

    But God always does.

    You don't know me... but I know that God adores who you are. And that's a really great thing.

     
  • At 1:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You are beautiful inside and out. love you my Jen.
    jason

     
  • At 9:12 AM , Blogger Tennessee Mama Duck said...

    You are beautiful, Jen! Inside and out! The beauty of Christ shines through YOU - I've seen it!

     
  • At 8:44 AM , Blogger Ceen_Marie said...

    1st Timothy 4:8

    for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.

    Faith, Virtue and Beauty are one. I don't think you can have the fisrt two and not the last. Of all people Jen, you embody these things.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home