Bastica

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Why I Got so Mad!

In my last post I mentioned a skit at the women's retreat that inspired me and infuriated me. Here's the details:

The actress came down the aisle carrying lots of baggage. Yeah, like we all do except hers was literal baggage...with labels such as control, pride and the big rolling beast of a suitcase labeled "not good enough". Yep just like my baggage-only not invisible. I could add a few more bags to the list. Sometimes I'm completely buried in it and I almost smother to death....but I'm getting off subject. I'll save that for another post, another day. Basically baggage sucks, but you knew that.

So the actress started lamenting out loud to God about her baggage and how it's weighing her down. Amazingly God was backstage with a microphone and began to reply. Actually it was Randy the bass player which totally distracted me because I was snickering to my sister "that's not God it's RANDY!!", like she didn't know. "God" responded and told her to "lay it down."

She started with "control". She cried "but I need control, control makes me feel safe!" I don't know about you, but that hits the nail on the head for me.

"Lay it down" "God" said and so she did. She went through the other smaller bags and laid them down while conversing with "God" and finally came to "not good enough". She talked about the negative messages she received growing up with an alcoholic father and her serious self worth issues.

Before she laid it down she opened up the suitcase and pulled out two bottles of liquor. She confessed that she's used the liquor to numb her pain. Yep... me too..... I'm with ya....done that...what else is in that suitcase? And then she pulled out PRESCRIPTION BOTTLES OF PILLS!!!! She confessed that she had turned to these pills when she needed to be up or down. Ummm excuse me!? Are you saying that pills are a copout and if I just trusted Jesus enough or had enough faith I would not be bi-polar!? Are you actually serious?

I have heard this entirely too often in the church (meaning the big overall body of Christ including all Christians, not necessarily my home church). It's ignorant and dangerous. Mental illness is as much a medical problem as diabetes or breaking your arm. Nobody judges you for taking insulin or wearing a cast but if you take psychiatric medicine you're a "bad Christian". Depression is so common that there had to be several women in that audience that are suffering or have suffered from depression in the past. Maybe they finally worked up the nerve to get the help they need.....and after hearing her speak they will go home, throw their pills away and after the "mountain top high" from the retreat wears off they could fall so deeply into the depths that they commit suicide. I know that's extreme but I truly feel the ignorance and judgment is THAT dangerous!

C'mon Christians! Just because it hasn't happened to you, just because you can't see it is no reason to remain ignorant and judgmental. The evidence says that mental illness is real and terrible. If someone you love is suffering in this way they need your total support and love. Choose truth!

9 Comments:

  • At 2:05 PM , Blogger Tennessee Mama Duck said...

    You go, girl!

    Seriously, please forgive me for being mis-lead and believing this insane lie, thus not being more encouraging to you in the 'beginning' of this process!

    I now know that when we say "God is all you need" - that doesn't mean that God didn't create medicines to be used for our bodies!

    Did she actually talk about depression!? At first, I thought she was referring to pain pill addiction or something, which is sometimes used like alcohol to avoid emotional pain.

    Anyone who has ever suffered with depression and taken THE RIGHT medicine for them knows that this is no "copout", but a way for them to be able to deal with their problems! It is so disappointing that the church is not more encouraging in this way!

     
  • At 7:37 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

    She didn't say the word depression but she said that she had been guilty of using the drugs to "get up when she was down or down when she was up" which could easily be interpreted as drugs for bi-polar or depression.

    I know that some people abuse prescription drugs but if that was the point of the skit, and the many other times I've heard this stuff at church, there needs to be a clear disclaimer that sometimes it is absolutely medically necessary.

    You don't really have anything to apologise for. You were taught wrong and so was I. We both know better now. Your friendship and discipleship of me was and is more beneficial to me than any drug has ever been. I thank God for you!

     
  • At 7:46 PM , Blogger Tennessee Mama Duck said...

    Oh, Jen. Thank you! What would I have done without you during that time as well!?

    Just this evening, I was sitting on the front porch with a neighbor. She is a Christian, a case worker for a mental health organization here. I was telling her about the skit. She was disgusted.

    She has the BEST attitude about it all! She explains it very simply... some need blood pressure meds, some thyroid meds, some mental health meds...God gave men the ways to make these meds and he intends for us to use them -- that is His way of helping us! We must accept His help! Isn't that great?

    I love you!

     
  • At 10:14 PM , Blogger scott d said...

    I hear you loud and clear on this... Impact is certainly not anti-meds... we certainly have staff members who have experienced depression etc in their families.

    The whole cliche "God will take care of it" that gets thrown around by people who don't understand works fine until THEY are the one affected.

     
  • At 9:42 AM , Blogger Ceen_Marie said...

    Amen to what Ema said. I agree completely. I must say that in the past I was in the camp of "you don't need meds" But, I was wrong, and wronged others with this belief I held.God has many ways, and they are definately not what we we expect they would be.

     
  • At 7:14 PM , Blogger m/p said...

    i totally agree that mental illness being a medical problem that needs serious attention, and sometimes medication is the only way to control it.

    while i have never had severe depressive episodes to be on meds, i do respect and feel for those who have been.

    taking meds is not baggage, though, is it? wouldnt it fall under lack of control? thats why i did sloppy things like drink and take herbal medication and sleep with boys...because i lacked the self-control one needs in these situations.

     
  • At 2:56 PM , Blogger Tennessee Mama Duck said...

    Hey girl!
    Stop by my blog soon... you've been tagged!

     
  • At 8:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I honestly don't think she meant it the way you interpreted it.

    And, I think the reason you did see it this way is because you feel guilty for taking the drugs in the first place.

    This isn't to say that taking the medicine is wrong, it's just that there must be something ingrained in you, be it truth or lie, that's telling you what you're doing is sin.

    Just a thought. Our feelings about things always skew our perception.

    Trinitie

     
  • At 10:50 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

    Trinitie,
    I've really tried to examine myself on this and I don't think I feel an ounce of guilt about taking meds.

    I absolutely did in the past because I had been taught wrong.

    I'm grateful and thank God for my meds.

    I have a passion and maybe even a duty to stand up for the truth so that more people are not made to feel guilty and therefore try to live without the meds they need to function in a way that's healthy.

    The woman probably didn't mean the comments that way but they could've been taken that way and there should be a disclaimer that she is talking about folks who ABUSE prescription drugs.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home