Bastica

Friday, May 19, 2006

2 Years

On this day, 2 years ago, May 19th 2004, 3 year old Hunter Bittle was killed when an impaired driver crossed the double yellow line and hit the vehicle driven by Hunter’s mother Melanie.

Melanie is a precious friend of mine in Knoxville. This is Melanie’s story to tell. Check out the website: www.hunterslegacy.com. Melanie shares photos, her testimony, the story of Hunter and her inspiring faith. It amazes me that at the bottom of every page on the website is what I consider one of the most challenging verses in the Bible:

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, when you face trials of many kinds" James 1:2

I wrote Melanie and Hunter’s name by this verse in my Bible so that I will never forget her example of faith.

She has started a non-profit organization to help and minister to the victims of impaired drivers. She’s working to change the laws regarding impaired drivers. She speaks at schools, police groups,churches and more. They have had a blood drive on both anniversaries of the accident as a way to celebrate Hunter’s life. She’s amazing like that.

3 months after Hunter died Melanie's father died. In December 2005, incredulously, Melanie was diagnosed with breast cancer. She is only 33 years old and has no family history. She had a double mastectomy and is now going through the hell of chemo. The stress on her body has brought her Crohn's disease out of remission. It just doesn’t seem fair. Why this family again? Why now?

Through all of these trials, Melanie has sent out regular email updates that are candid, real, raw and inspiring. Her family is still hurting and grieving but she is leaning on her Heavenly Father to get her through.

I am so grateful to know Melanie and count her as a dear friend. I miss her. I love her. I love their whole family. If you will, pray for them.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:46 AM , Blogger Ceen_Marie said...

    Wow, Melanie will be in my heart's prayers. I am going to remember her and not forget. I am going to memorize that verse too, I think.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home