Bastica

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

I'm Bipolar

I've been debating for a while whether I should share that I am bipolar. I've decided that I just have to put it out there. I need the therapeutic release of talking about it. Bipolar has pretty much hijacked my life and ever since I've been trying to figure out where bipolar ends and I begin.

I've struggled with depression off and on my entire life. I remember as early as 5th grade having serious suicidal thoughts. I didn't really experience the mania side of things until the tragedy of my friend Brian dying. In some of my reading and research I have discovered that a lot of people with mental illnesses can trace the start of their illness to some sort of tragic jolt in their life. I think the bipolar was always there but perhaps more dormant until then.

Technically I have bipolar II which means I don't have extreme mania but only mild mania. I have to accept this as a blessing because extreme mania involves losing touch with reality and often doing things to endanger oneself. My mania involves a feeling of adrenaline running through my body for no reason. My thoughts race around in my mind out of control until I want to scream. My sleep becomes very restless as I wake up many times throughout the night and I can't get comfortable no matter how hard I try.

The depression and anxiety are far, far worse. I have to go into survival mode. It takes major effort to get out of bed, take a shower, get dressed etc. My latest bout of depression lasted for 2 months. Some days are better than others. I just get so weak and rely on Jason so much that I won't go to the grocery store without him. At my lowest points I think about suicide a lot. So far I've never actually wanted to go through with it but it's scary when you can't stop thinking about it. I feel like depression robs me of my life and robs me of the opportunity to use the gifts that God gave me.

So that's it. I thought as soon as I had the diagnosis that I would just tell everyone. I thought it would probably explain some of the bizarre behavior I assume I exhibit sometimes. It explains why I call into work or bow out on something I signed up to do. So many times it seemed like the right time to share and I chickened out. I guess I worry that people won't take me as seriously. I need to share it though because it is such a big part of my life and understanding who I am and what I struggle with. The average person doesn't know much about bipolar, let alone what it's like to live with it. I think a lot of people know someone who has it. I guess I'd like to offer my little voice to the noise and share what the experience can be like.

I promise not to turn this into an all bipolar all the time blog but it does touch every area of my life and sharing some of my stories without mentioning it and wondering about it just isn't the whole story. Consider yourself warned!

6 Comments:

  • At 7:25 PM , Blogger Rustypants said...

    that took a lot of guts to talk about, jen. thanks for sharing so much about your bipolar. a great place to start for folks who want to know more about it (either for themselves or how to help / understand someone they know who has it) is at Pendulum Resources.

    my struggle with severe depression has been ongoing in one form or another for the last 22 years. for the good part of 2 years during high school i had some pretty severe suicidal depression that really messed up my thinking and ability to process information rationally. ever since then i'll go through a 3-4 day serious depression maybe every 9 months or so (no real schedule to it, it just happens). i'm just now coming out of a spell that has lasted 2+ months and left me pretty much paralyzed (mentally, socially, physically in a sense). thankfully i've found an excellent therapist who has really been digging deep and forcing me to confront some stuff that i've just taken for granted as to how i cope.

    depression is pretty awful and it sure is hard for others to understand how paralyzing it can be. thank god for therapists. :-)

     
  • At 8:59 PM , Blogger scott d said...

    I hope you know how much Robyn and I love you.

     
  • At 3:49 PM , Blogger Tennessee Mama Duck said...

    Jen,
    I have a great friend in one of my new neighbors. She works in the mental health field. Her perspective has helped me so much! I think the world often thinks that all people with mental illness are 'crazy' - no matter their diagnosis, perhaps especially bipolar! I understand your fear of being real - and being misunderstood!

    I know YOU! You are NOT crazy! You have nothing to be ashamed about. You have a medical condition, just like someone else has diabetes. They HAVE to take their insulin, just like you must take your medicine. Don't allow the enemy to let you think that you are less because you have bipolar. Bipolar does affect who you are, but it is not WHO you are!
    I love you!

     
  • At 11:09 PM , Blogger Ceen_Marie said...

    Jen, I have totally loved getting to know you, thru small group and otherwise. I think you are awesome, with such a great heart. Know that even when you feel 'crazy' I will never see you that way. You are safe here.

     
  • At 9:14 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

    Thanks for all your support. I feel kinda weird like you all feel sorry for me but I know you're expressing your love for me. I've been feeling pretty good the last few weeks. It's a welcome relief!

     
  • At 2:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hi. i found this as i was googling something. i just wanted to let you know i appreciated you writing it. the last thing i wrote in my journal last week, as a reminder to ask my therapist in group about, is something like "how do i know when it's okay to tell someone i'm bipolar. or how do i know who." i'm 24 and was diagnosed when i was 19. i've a lot of people to meet along the way. and the stigma is so real. anyway, thanks.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home