Bastica

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Two Thumbs Down

I did something tonight I swore I'd never do. I picked up a hitchhiker. Admittedly, she wasn't sticking her thumb out but as I pulled up to the red light she flagged me down. I rolled my window down an inch. "Can you give me a ride up the hill?" she asked. She seemed harmless and it was a short ride so I said "Sure" and opened the door.
I should note that I work for a nonprofit in one of Cincinnati's worst neighborhoods. I was just a block from work when I encountered this stranger.
As she entered my car a terrible odor entered with her. I rolled down my window the rest of the way. "Do you smoke cigarettes?" she asked. "Nope" I reply.
The ride lasts all of 3 minutes. She directs me to turn into a long driveway leading up to an apartment complex far off the road. As the driveway goes on and on and the main road gets farther and father out of sight I start to panic. A lot of scenarios run through my head in a short amount of time. Is this some sort of setup? I start to pray "Oh God, Please protect me!" over and over.
There is a group of 5-6 people standing outside the apartment complex. Are they going to rob me or attack me?
My passenger turns to me and asks "Is it 8:00"? When I answer "Yes", she says "Oh, I need to take my medicine! Alright then, O.K. then! I need to take my medicine!" With those parting words she closes the door behind her.
I breathe a sigh of relief. I lean over and lock the passenger door and head home. What was I thinking!? Never again!!

7 Comments:

  • At 6:12 AM , Blogger scott d said...

    I have a friend who picks up hitchhikers regularly. He considers it part of his ministry. NO WAY I'M DOING THAT as I don't think I could defend myself from my wife, let alone a criminal. Big difference between you and me and my friend, though, he's a very large black man that has worked as a security guard in the past.

    I understand you being so thankful that it was over, and I mostly agree with your never again mindset, but you certainly showed her God's love.

    Blogging has been self-therapy for me. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

     
  • At 7:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Jen! I recently picked up a lady in my neighborhood (inner-city Knoxville) too. I had talked to her before at the local Dollar General Store where she works. I recognized her walking and she was in uniform. I passed her and decided to go back and offer her a ride (it was a very hot day!). I was nervous too, especially since I had my 3 children in the car with me. Still, I knew where she worked.

    Isn't it sad that we must be so cautious? Jesus wouldn't have hesitated in His time, don't you think?

     
  • At 4:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Uh, hitchikers rock! I pick up every female I see, and a few harmless looking males (that look like they're 12 or something). I love the nasty, stinky ones. They remind me of my mom, especially when they're crazy and need their medication! LOL!

    I'm excited you've started this blog! I get to know your thoughts, now.

    Trinitie

     
  • At 8:06 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

    Scott: I'm glad you think I showed her God's love. I'm not sure. It didn't really feel that way, but feelings aren't all that.

    Richelle: I agree that Jesus wouldn't have hesitated. It's hard for me to separate the fact that He is God and he knows exactly what is going to happen and is all powerful and in control. I know we need to be generous and have a servants heart and help meet peoples physical needs sometimes but we also need to be wise and safe. I think I know that you would agree :) It's a little confusing at times.

    Trinitie: You are certifiably nuts! I've started praying for your safety in this area. In my opinion Jeffrey Dahmer always spooked me so much because he looked like a harmless 12 year boy.

     
  • At 4:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You should see the movie "Patch Adams".

    There's always a chance of danger or even death, but I'm cool with that. As long as it means I'm living.

    Trinitie

     
  • At 10:33 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

    I DID see the movie and had the completely opposite reaction!
    I think we should absolutely help those in need but be wise about our own safety in the process. If Jason would've been with me in the car I think I would feel differently about it. I don't know.

     
  • At 9:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Jen, What were you thinking????? Geeez... DON'T EVER DO THAT AGAIN!!!!
    Seher

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home