Bastica

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Do you believe?

A little girl came up to my desk today and asked me if I believed in fairies. Um....No I don't.

She shot back that she has a book that will prove me wrong! "So HA!" she said.
She claims to own a book that gives evidence of their existence including a "fairy wing" and "fairy dust". She also informed me that her aunt has a "fairy ring" in her backyard. What is a fairy ring you ask? It's a ring in the grass and if you step in it you get good luck. She's going to bring the book in to prove it to me.

What do I say then? Do I lie and encourage her to keep the faith? Are fairies granted the same protected status as Santa and the Easter Bunny? We let kids believe in the Tooth Fairy so isn't it somewhat reasonable for her to logically deduce that other fairies exist as well? Is it o.k to lie to children about these things? I'm leaning towards the lie. I'm weak like that. I don't want to be a dream crusher. sigh...

2 Comments:

  • At 8:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yeah, it's totally permissable to let her believe in fairies.

    There is absolutely no harm. It's kinda like letting a kid believe in an imaginary friend---as long as it works for their happiness, so be it.

    Sometimes, for a child (and sometimes even adults), reality can be too much.

    Trinitie

     
  • At 10:25 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

    I think you're right. I was thinking the same thing but needed to hear someone else say it.
    I don't think I've suffered any long term ill effects from believing in santa etc.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home