Bastica

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

True Story

At work my desk phone is the public phone for all the kids. They use it to call their parents, their parents call them. They sneak in calls to friends and friends call them. I don't mind as long as they make it quick. We do have actual business to conduct over the phone from time to time although sometimes I feel like the personal secretary of 70 kids.
You know how 20/20 or some other such news show is always doing shows where they test for germs on things like hotel bedspreads, shopping cart handles, office keyboards, random guys toothbrush etc. I would be scared to know what they would find on my phone.
I have sanitzing wipes but there are not enough wipes in the world to protect me from this peril. There is a different kid on the phone every 5 minutes. I try to wipe it down once or twice daily.
I know kids come straight from the bathroom to use my phone with no hand washing in between. If you're walking out the door as the toilet is flushing, I'm betting there was no washing.
Several times I've seen kids cough directly into the phone. Sneezing is not as common but it does happen.
Sweaty teenagers come in from the gym (not airconditioned in the summer) and sweat all over my phone. I don't always notice until I go to answer the phone after them. It is so gross to answer the phone and touch their sweat to my ear. I'm seriously ill just thinking about it.
O.K. so today there was a first. A child LICKED the phone! A little 7 year old, sweet as can be,but---He put his TONGUE on the mouthpiece! What can I do but wipe the phone off and pass it on to the next caller/victim? Gotta love the immune system!

2 Comments:

  • At 12:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    wow, maybe the kid before him had eaten candy, and he could taste it.

    I'm glad your blogs are more frequent.

    I'm sorry I'm out of touch.

    I love you.

    Trinitie

     
  • At 3:14 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

    nice theory Trin. i couldn't even come up with one.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home