Bastica

Sunday, January 04, 2009

Fondue Night - The Meat & Vegetable Course

Turns out the cheese fondue recipe was from recipezaar.com in case you want to check out the original post.

The following recipe was found at: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/recipes/43401-fat-free-fondue.html

Of course I added in my little notes and advice. I'm going to put a little asterisk by each dipper that I used personally. The Bouillon recipe is followed by recipes for sauces to serve with the meat. The Green Goddess sauce/dip is especially good with the veggies and is my favorite. I made all of the sauces the night before for better flavor and less work the day of.

Be careful with the raw meat and make sure it only touches the raw meat plate and your skewer which is then dipped in the simmering liquid until it is cooked through. No pink chicken please.

Court Bouillon Fondue

Tastes identical to the court bouillon at Melting Pot. After making the bouillon, transfer it to a fondue pot or saucepan on a hot plate. Then, over medium heat, add skewers of lean meats (chicken, pork, lean beefsteak, etc.) and cook until done. Delicious!

Enough for 10-12 people (I made the whole recipe for my party of 6 and refrigerated the rest for lunch the next day, worked out great!)

Fondue Ingredients:
2 medium carrots
2 stalks celery
1 medium onion
1 - 2 cup dry white wine ( I used a cheap bottle ($5.99 on sale) of Pinot Grigio)
2 lemon slices
1 bay leaf
3 whole black peppers

Suggested Dippers (cut all into large bite size pieces):

Meat:
  • boneless skinless chicken breasts *
  • pork tenderloin marinated in teriyaki sauce*
  • raw peeled deveined shrimp* (I bought it frozen and deveined, I thawed overnight and peeled them before serving)
  • salmon
  • filet mignon
  • lobster tail
  • duck breast
  • teriyaki marinated sirloin

Vegetables (these do not need skewers - just toss them in and retrieve with a slotted spoon after a few minutes):
  • Mushrooms*
  • Red Potatoes*
  • Yellow Squash*
  • Zuchinni

Other:
  • Pot Stickers
  • Ravioli

Directions:
1. Slice carrots, celery, and onion.

2. In a 4-quart dutch oven, combine vegetables, wine, lemon, bay leaf, peppers, 8 cups water, and 2 teaspoons salt.

3.Bring to a boil. Reduce Heat. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

4. Strain broth through sieve and use for fondue.

(Store unused broth in the fridge for up to 3 days, or in the freezer up to 6 months.)

SAUCES

I used a bottled barbecue sauce that was great. I'm sure there are many bottled sauces that would be tasty.

Yogurt Curry Sauce
1 cup plain yogurt
3 Tablespoons mayonnaise
3 teaspoons curry powder

mix and store in the fridge for a few hours - overnight if possible. This sauce was a big hit at my party. I love it on the chicken.

Green Goddess

Makes 12 servings
Preparation time: 10 minutes, plus
1 to 2 hours to cool
Cooking time: 2-4 minutes
8 ounces cream cheese, cut into slices
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
2 tablespoons finely sliced chives
In a microwave-safe container, microwave cream cheese and milk for 2 to 4 minutes, whisking after each minute, until cream cheese melts and mixture is smooth. Stir in sour cream, onion, parsley and chives. Refrigerate until cold, overnight to let flavors develop if possible. Leftovers would make a great dip for pretzels, chips and/or carrots.

For my party I did not have fresh parsley or chives. I had some green onion, so I cut up enough green onion to cover all of the onion and chives (4 Tablespoons total). I used dried parsley - generally a good rule of thumb is to use 1/3 of the amount when substituting dry for fresh. Ideally I will have all of these ingredients on hand next time, but it was pretty darn good even with the substitutions.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home