Bastica

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Dancing with the Stars: Season 7

Yay! It’s back! Mom and I are back in our regular routine of Dancing with the Stars viewing. Here’s what we, or at least I, think of this year’s contestants so far:

Jeff Ross:

It was a relief to see him go. Probably for him and his partner as well, although I feel bad for Edyta who has been on the show every season, but despite her immense talent, has not been able to claim the mirror ball trophy. Also, I can’t believe out of all the comedians on the show this is the first time we heard the “ball room” joke.

Ted McGinley:

Who? Revenge of the Nerds, Married with Children? A trip to IMDB.com shows me he’s been working since then, but I doubt most people know who he is. I’m sure he’s a great guy and all, but just didn’t have the fan base to carry him through. His dancing was rough as well.

Toni Braxton:

So great! Beautiful, talented, a natural. She has potential to go far this season. She can really move those hips! How great is her most successful song Unbreak My Heart? It’s a singer’s dream, so dramatic, such a range. It’s a sing in the shower and car kind of song, but NEVER in public. If you sing this song at Karaoke, it’s going to be embarrassing and uncomfortable for all involved, unless you’re Toni Braxton.

Brooke Burke:

So she’s like a swimsuit model with big fake boobs, but she seems like a sweet, doting mother. Is it possible that swimsuit models are people too? It was SO funny when her partner Derek was trying to explain that their chests were not supposed to touch when in a formal ballroom dance hold, yet he kept feeling her “boobies” touching his chest. She said that may be the first time someone asked her to keep her “boobies” off of them. Haha! I guess that rules out Dolly Parton as a future contestant!

Lance Bass:

It’s funny to me when former boy banders, ice skaters etc. try to pooh pooh their OBVIOUS dance experience advantage over the other contestants. He says he was the worst dancer in N’Sync and faked his way through most of the dancing. I think Joey Fatone said the same thing. I’m not buying it, but I gave up on the show caring about fairness over ratings a long time ago, so whatever. He’s cute as can be and did a fantastic job right out of the gate. I also love his dance partner who is new to the show. I’m probably looking forward to seeing them dance more than any other couple.

Cloris Leachman:

It is rare that you will hear a bold, opinionated statement on my blog or even from me in person, because I hate debating, confrontation, people making a grey issue a black and white issue etc. It’s just not worth it to me unless it’s a “safe” person I’m talking to. I pick my battles VERY carefully. I’m going to go out on a limb here and say I CAN’T STAND when it’s this woman’s time to dance. She’s obviously too old, 82, and can’t begin to compete. I would have more sympathy for her if she was charming and graceful, but she’s obnoxious. I’ll steal a page from Simon Cowell’s book and say she’s like a dreadful child who is misbehaving, yet everyone laughs at her and encourages her. If I could vote against a contestant, I would use all of my votes against her. I’m so disappointed that she made it past the first week. Until she’s gone I will be fast forwarding every bit of her video, dancing, interviews etc. I’ve never loved my DVR more!

Cody Linley:

The youngest contestant, paired up with the youngest dancer and just so cute. He’s dancing well. I just don’t have much to say about him. I look forward to seeing him progress.

Misty May – Treanor:

She has really surprised me with how graceful she is and how she can move those hips! You wouldn’t think she could with her athletic build. She could probably beat many men at arm wrestling. Girl is a beast! She is also paired up with one of my favorite professionals – Maksim, the “bad boy of the ballroom”.

Rocco DiSpirito:

I love me some chefs, but I really just watch the food network, and he’s not there, so I don’t know anything about him. Still he wins points for being a chef and he's easy on the eyes. He did terrible the first night and fantastic the second night. He keeps making jokes about how much he’s not a dancer and should be chopping something right about now. I hope he doesn’t defeat himself.

Maurice Greene:

How fun is he? He is just a-smilin and a-groovin! Such a pleasure to watch! He has a fantastic partner – two-time champion Cheryl Burke. I think he’ll be sticking around for several weeks.

Warren Sapp:

I have this image in my head of Warren Sapp fending off a lineman with one arm, while using his free arm to grab Marshall Faulk, lift him off the ground, and slam him to the ground. It was like King Kong or something. Marshall’s feet were still running in the air. Crazy! I really didn’t like Warren Sapp and saw him as a big, mean bully. It’s amusing to see him on the dance floor. He moves amazing well and is so light on his feet. He says he’s a safety trapped in a 300 pound body. I’m interested to see if he loses weight, as most people do on the show. The jury’s still out on whether he’s still a big, mean bully.

Susan Lucci:

Speaking of contestants losing weight, Carrie Ann told Susan Lucci she needs to GAIN weight. Thank you! She’s got this little teenage body with these little stick legs poking out from under her dress. She looks like she could topple over if a large gust of wind came through. Her first Latin dance was o.k. Needs some work. A little stiff. Her first Ballroom dance was great! Poise and elegance! We’ll see if she can learn to move those hips. Soap opera stars usually stick around for awhile. They have an incredibly loyal fan base.

Kim Kardashian:

I don’t know much about her. She’s a rich, party girl socialite from what I understand. Her butt is famous or something. It was brave of her to come out and dance to Sir Mix-a-Lot’s song Baby Got Back, but she really struggled through it. Does it surprise anyone else how often we hear this song used in pop culture? Am I the only one that finds it offensive and inappropriate ? I personally find it inappropriate for myself, although as a young teen I memorized every word and watched the video a thousand times. I would like to thank the video store clerk who refused to sell me the Sir Mix-a-Lot CD when I was a teen, due to the Parental Advisory Warning sticker. THANK YOU for protecting my ears, heart, brain, wallet from any more trash than I already have with the lyrics to that stupid song in my head. There I go with my strong opinions again.

And that’s everyone. This show just brings Mom and I so much joy! Check it out if you never have. I hope to write more about the show later in the season. We’ll see.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    cloris leachman may be a horrible old dancer, but she has some of the funniest parts in movies i love (particularly young frankenstein).

    whenever i see her i think (or say):

    FRAU BLUCHER!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home