Bastica

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Wisdom

As a year has passed since the release of the book, I've seen more and more how, in my own life and in the lives of the Christians around me, we subscribe to false gospels that are troubling our souls. Because we live in a constant sales environment where we are told a certain car will make us sexy or a certain dishwashing detergent will be a miracle for our dishes, we assume the gospel of Jesus works the same way, that is, if we invest something, we get something more back. But this is not the case. To understand what the Bible explains Jesus' gospel to be, we must look to each other, to the way a father interacts with a child, a bride to a bridegroom, a doctor to a patient. When we let go of the idea of Jesus as a product and embrace Him as a being, our path to spiritual maturity begins.

~Donald Miller, speaking of his book In Search of God Knows What. I guess I should probably read it since this statement really connected with me. I have a few pages left in his wonderful book Blue Like Jazz. Check him out at www.bluelikejazz.com

2 Comments:

  • At 10:35 PM , Blogger Reverb said...

    I love Donald Miller. He spoke at Mars Hill recently.

    You can check it out by going to www.marshill.org or by searching for the Mars Hill podcast in iTunes.

    Godspeed.

     
  • At 3:45 PM , Blogger Julie Glover said...

    Jen- I can finally make comments.. I set up an account for Jeremy and I....I will probably never write anything, but at least I can comment! Although every has private blogs.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home