Bastica

Friday, November 09, 2007

Dancing With the Stars

Do you watch it? I record it and then watch it every Tuesday night with my Mom at my place. Mom’s house is a little chaotic since my sister’s family is living there right now with their three young children. It’s hard for her to sit and enjoy a TV show without many interruptions and kids running around. I love to have her over to my peaceful apartment where she can relax and not think about all the things she has to do around the house.

She comes to my place directly after working 8-10 hours doing nails at the salon. I always have dinner ready and waiting. I can experiment and try new recipes on her since my picky husband is away at youth group on Tuesday nights. It feels good since she fed me wonderful home cooked meals my whole life and now I can treat her in that way. I took it for granted at the time and complained when she served roast and mashed potatoes AGAIN! Now I ask her to make me her wonderful roast and mashed potatoes each year for my birthday. If I was on death row, I would request it as my final meal.

After dinner, we settle in to watch the show. We raise our eyebrows and give each other looks when we see some of the skimpy costumes as they enter the dance floor. We have a running commentary, critiquing and praising the dances. We give them the scores we think they deserve and then predict the scores they will actually receive. Then we debate whether the judges are fair or if the whole thing is fixed. Since we don’t watch it the night it airs, we don’t have the benefit of voting, which is frustrating sometimes, especially when someone we like goes home. The benefit to watching it on Tuesdays is we don’t have to wait a day to see who gets voted off.

I don’t know what it is about these nights, but they’re magical. At the end of the night, I feel satisfied and refreshed. Mom hit the nail on the head when she said these nights are like therapy.

I hope the show goes on another 50 years! Although, if the outfits get any skimpier, they will be wearing nothing by 2015!

1 Comments:

  • At 10:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I hope the show goes on another 50 years! Although, if the outfits get any skimpier, they will be wearing nothing by 2015!

    sadly, this might help viewership.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home